Sunday, January 17, 2010

Very much needed update

I am going to go over 6 months in a couple of paragraphs.

Update on Elyn: He has 4 molers and 8 front teeth, making a total of 12 teeth. At Christmas he was playing at Grandpa Morrell's house and tripped and hit a glass garbage can and chipped his front tooth. Luckily they are only baby teeth. His vocabulary is growning everyday. He says Mom, Dad, Nigh-nigh (that's for his binki and bottle), Ball, show, cracker, and he knows alot of animial sounds. Every bird to him is a quack quack. His favorite song right now is 5 little ducks. In the last week he has started to respond to questions, for example I ask him if he wants to watch a show and he will nod and say yes and run to the couch to watch a movie.

We just moved to Ethiopia and are loving it. Mark spends most of his time down at the farm which is 16 hours from the Capital, which is were I'm at the majority of the time, in a car but he had to go down in a semi truck this last time and it took 32 hours. He wasn't too happy after that. Our trip over here wasn't too bad, but we did have our adventures. We had a 14 hour layover in London which we were planning on touring as it was in the day time. The day we get there London decides to have its biggest storm in a generation. So their public trasportation is down and we were not dressed or prepared for snow. We ended up staying the whole 14 hours in the airport. Elyn did sleep the whole time in the airport which was nice because we didn't have to chase him around in that very busy airport, but it made it so he didn't sleep at all the last 8 hour flight. We finally made it to Ethiopia and got through customs smoothly. We get to the baggage claim and had found 2 of our 7 bags (we had 5 bags, a big box with a big first aid kit and his car seat) we wait... and wait... and wait. After about an hour or longer the baggage claim only had 13 bags left on it and our bags are not there. We go to the lost baggage area and they asked for a address to send the bags, and I didn't have it. So they asked for a phone number to call and I didn't have one. So we left with their number hoping that we would be able to call back and give them are information. We got home to Dad's house here and were able to get ahold of one of his workers who called and figured out our bag situtation even though it was their Christmas. We got our bags the next day. WHEW! The first bag I open we a big mess. This was very encouraging let me tell you. We had some lotion that I forgot I put in there explode, Formula can explode, and maple exctract explode in a zip lock bag the also exploded. Not fun to clean up. Luckily that was the end of our adventure getting here.

Mark is in Beltu right now, at the farm building our house. They went into the market the other day and had a crowd surrunding them. He said he had about 300 kids following him and towards the end of the trip sworming him. Because there were so many people stands were getting pushed over, fights were starting. It just was crazy all together.

I will try very hard to update weekly. I will post pictures later.


Barlow Family said...

Hi! You are going to have to post a little more often for me :). I am looking forward to following the Ethiopian adventures that your family will have over there. I am so glad we were able to get to know each other. Thanks for letting us crash your home for a little time. I loved our trip to Addis and hope to return soon.
take care! Kristin (Brian and Cathy)

Cherish said...

Love and miss you Heidi