Saturday, September 27, 2008

The bear story

Katie suggested that I tell about the bear. Well on his first camping trip, we went in the Beaver Mountains somewhere so that Mark could go prospecting for gold (his new hobby). Anyways during the day I would stay at camp and he would go up the creek prospectiny. He left me with his 303 british military gun, which is a rifle, and a hand gun incase bears come into the camp. Before he left he reassured me that in the many years that he has camped there he has never seen a bear there. Well later on when he got back and we were about to go to bed he says " Guess what I saw? A black bear 50 feet from me! But we were upwind from the bear so Chevy (our dog) didn't smell him or see him or anything. Cool huh."

Cool, right. So now that I know there are bears within walking distance from camp scares me. Then Mark starts to put all the food and everything in the bed of the truck and says he's putting it there so if the bear does come he will go to the truck instead of the tent. So now I'm even more scared because Mark is doing more things in case a bear comes, and in my mind that ment he thinks a bear will come. Let me tell you this stress is not good for a new mother. We go to bed and the whole night I'm scared that Elyn's cry in going to bring in a bear, or the music thing we have to put him to sleep is going to bring in a bear, or my biggest fear was that a bear might smell milk (since I'm nursing) and come into the tent. In the middle of the night I had to wake up and Nurse and since I was scared that the bear would smell the milk and come I asked Mark to stay up with me, and then I heard a growl, and I got really scared. It sounded really close and still Chevy hasn't moved. So I ask Mark, and I'm pretty much in tears now, what was that and he says "I farted." Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night. Oh also we are sleeping next to a stream so every so often I would hear the rocks moving in the stream and would think it was an animals footsteps.

The next day I was still alittle on the edge, so when Mark left again to go prospecting I kept hearing those dang rocks and thinking it was some animal so I grabed Elyn and we sat in the truck with the windows up so that bears couldn't get us. And yes Mark made fun of me.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Funny, funny, funny. Has Mark found much gold? Where did he get the idea to start panning for gold, that´s funny too.

You´re a trooper Heidi to go camping a few weeks after giving birth. Way to go!